Every Monday morning, join us here as we help you prepare for worship this coming weekend! You’ll find:
- This Week’s Scripture
- The Theme for the Week
- Discussion and Reflection Questions
- Movie, Video and Book Suggestions
- Individual or Community Practices (ideas for prayer, service, or activism)
- Programming and Events
- And MORE!
Want to go back and review a previous week in the series? No worries. Just click here to access an archive of previous weeks.
This week’s scripture:
Saturday, Sept. 12 & Sunday, Sept. 13: LeAnn Stubbs preaching
The Fruit of the Spirit
By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also be guided by the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, competing against one another, envying one another.
1 Corinthians 12:12
One Body with Many Members
For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.
(for all ages!)
- Which fruit of the spirit do you feel most passionate about? Why?
- Which fruit of the spirit do you think is your biggest strength? Tell a story about why!
- Which fruit have you experienced in someone else? Tell about that.
- What’s your favorite fruit to eat?
- What are you good at that you want to share with others?
- How does the metaphor of fruits of the spirit help you understand what God is doing in your life and all around you?
- What if God isn’t trying to get us to transform into something new or better? What if God simply wants us to emerge into the awareness that we are already enough?
- Has the task of keep threats out of your life left no room for the work of welcoming the gifts?
- How would your life look different if you decided that abundance was lying around waiting for you to notice it, rather than something you earn or win?
(for all ages)
- Article: “How Covenants Make Us” by David Brooks https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/05/opinion/how-covenants-make-us.html
- The Four Agreements
- The Hundred-Foot Journey
- A Grateful Heart: Daily Blessings for the Evening meal from Buddha to the Beatles, Edited by M.J. Ryan
- Life Prayers From Around the World, Elizabeth Roberts & Elias Amidon, honoring the wonders and challenges of life on earth and celebrating the seasons of our lives
- How the Children Became Stars — A family treasury of stories, prayers and blessings from around the world, Aaron Zirth
- Old Turtle and the Broken Truth, Douglas Woods
- To Everything There Is a Season, Jude Daly
- Fiddler on the Roof
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding
- The Hundred-Foot Journey
(i.e. prayer/service/activism) (for all ages)
- Whose Am I? Four photos in four days – in successive days find and share four photos that represent your promises to God, this church, your family, yourself.
- If you have a story about one of these fruits of the spirit – make a video about it! Share a story! Share it with your family and share it with your church so we can use it in worship. (Email Lindsey Braun firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a story to tell!)
- Visit LSI Global Greens Farmers’ Market, 3200 University Ave., Des Moines, IA 50311, June – October 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. every Saturday For more information: lsiowa.org
- The 5 Love Languages®: The Secret to Love That Lasts Inspirational Adult Coloring Book (Majestic Expressions) Paperback – October 1, 2016
- Faith Hope Love Coloring Book Paperback – April 21, 2018 by Christian Art Gifts (Corporate Author) (Author) ISBN-13: 978-1432127329 ISBN-10: 1432127322
- Inner Peace Mandalas Love in 50 Languages For Reflection, Healing and Meditation 50 Coloring Pages: Mandalas Coloring Book, helps reduce stress and achieve inner peace, by Nigel David, Inner Peace Coloring