Every Monday morning, join us here as we help you prepare for worship this coming weekend! You’ll find:
- This Week’s Scripture
- The Theme for the Week
- Discussion and Reflection Questions
- Movie, Video and Book Suggestions
- Individual or Community Practices (ideas for prayer, service, or activism)
- Programming and Events
- And MORE!
Want to go back and review a previous week in the series? No worries. Just click here to access an archive of previous weeks.
This week’s scripture:
Saturday, Oct. 3 & Sunday, Oct. 4: LeAnn Stubbs preaching
Jeremiah 6: 10-11; 13-15
The prophet speaks and says,
”To whom shall I speak and give warning, that they may hear? See, their ears are closed, they cannot listen. The word of the Lord is to them an object of scorn; they take no pleasure in it. But I am full of the wrath of the Lord; I am weary of holding it in.
For from the least to the greatest of them, everyone is greedy for unjust gain; and from prophet to priest, everyone deals falsely. They have treated the wound of my people carelessly, saying, “Peace, peace,” when there is no peace.
They should be ashamed of their loathsome deeds! Yet they are not ashamed; they do not even know how to blush.
Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.”
(for all ages!)
- Who is peace for you? Whose way of being in the world brings you calm and assurance?
- What might it mean for you to “be peace.”?
- Are you clear about the responsibility we have for our grandchildren’s peace?
- What is a PeaceMaker?
(for all ages)
- Article: “How Covenants Make Us” by David Brooks https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/05/opinion/how-covenants-make-us.html
- The Four Agreements
- The Hundred-Foot Journey
- A Grateful Heart: Daily Blessings for the Evening meal from Buddha to the Beatles, Edited by M.J. Ryan
- Life Prayers From Around the World, Elizabeth Roberts & Elias Amidon, honoring the wonders and challenges of life on earth and celebrating the seasons of our lives
- The Story of Ferdinand, Munro Leaf and Robert Lawson
- What Does Peace Feel Like?, V. Radunsky
- The Peace Book, Todd Parr
- Wangari’s Trees of Peace, Jeanette Winter
- I Am Peace: a Book of Mindfulness, Susan Verde
- Paulie Pastrami Achieves World Peace, James Proimos
- Grandfather Ghandi, Arun Ghandi
- Amazing Peace, Maya Angelou
- One Thousand Paper Cranes, Takayuki Tshii
- A Prayer for World Peace, Jane Goodall
- Way of the Peaceful Warrior, Dan Millman (Book & Movie)
- Joyeux Noel, Movie (Christmas day of peace in WWII)
- Le Chambon, Movie (Town in France that harbored Jewish folks in WWII)
- Donna and Bob – An Unlikely Friendship, The story of Donna Redwing and Bob Vander Platts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dMMCVfKP9s
- Shake Hands With The Devil
- A Bold Peace, Documentary
- Road to Peace, Documentary
- Pray the Devil Back to Hell, Documentary
- Disney’s The Jungle Book, Movie
- Avatar, Movie
- Whale Rider, Movie
- Ghandi, Movie
- The Mandala as a path to peace, Students for a Free Tibet at Keene High School hosted Tibetan monks who created a temporary sand mandala at the school, which acts as a symbol about the way we live day-to-day life and as a pathway towards peace. https://youtu.be/G58Pujijsqc
- Your Peace Will Make Us One https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQWSfzY2mw
- Imagine by John Lennon
(i.e. prayer/service/activism) (for all ages)
- Pick up the phone and send a text of peace! Pass the peace!
- Practice being a non-anxious presence with someone.
- Make peace with someone.
- Abraham Lincoln said, “I don’t like that man. I must get to know him better.” …
- Google the story of One Thousand Paper Cranes and then learn how to make a paper crane. Make one, make many….
- Send 5 notes to people passing the peace…snail mail works wonders!