Every Monday morning, join us here as we help you prepare for worship this coming weekend! You’ll find:
- This Week’s Scripture
- The Theme for the Week
- Discussion and Reflection Questions
- Movie, Video and Book Suggestions
- Individual or Community Practices (ideas for prayer, service, or activism)
- Programming and Events
- And MORE!
Want to go back and review a previous week in the series? No worries. Just click here to access an archive of previous weeks.
This week’s scripture:
Saturday, Oct. 16 & Sunday, Oct. 18: Lindsey Braun preaching
After we had reached safety, we then learned that the island was called Malta. 2The natives showed us unusual kindness. Since it had begun to rain and was cold, they kindled a fire and welcomed all of us round it. 3Paul had gathered a bundle of brushwood and was putting it on the fire, when a viper, driven out by the heat, fastened itself on his hand. 4When the natives saw the creature hanging from his hand, they said to one another, ‘This man must be a murderer; though he has escaped from the sea, justice has not allowed him to live.’ 5He, however, shook off the creature into the fire and suffered no harm. 6They were expecting him to swell up or drop dead, but after they had waited a long time and saw that nothing unusual had happened to him, they changed their minds and began to say that he was a god.
7 Now in the neighborhood of that place were lands belonging to the leading man of the island, named Publius, who received us and entertained us hospitably for three days. 8It so happened that the father of Publius lay sick in bed with fever and dysentery. Paul visited him and cured him by praying and putting his hands on him. 9After this happened, the rest of the people on the island who had diseases also came and were cured. 10They bestowed many honors on us, and when we were about to sail, they put on board all the provisions we needed.
(for all ages!)
- What does kindness look like? (at school, at work, at home, at church, on the playground, during COVID)
- What does kindness feel like in these places?
- How do you know when you’ve received kindness?
- Is your sense of purpose overtaking your prioritization of people? Are you too important to be interruptible? Too busy to entertain angels unaware?
- Where in your life do you need to welcome an “us and them” relationship rather than “us versus them”?
- What’s the difference between being nice and kind?
(for all ages)
- Small Kindnesses, by Danusha Lameris
- Invitation to Brave Space poem
- A Man Called Ove, Fredrick Backman (Book & Movie)
- Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, Gail Honeyman
- The Little Paris Bookshop, Nina George
- Matilda – Book and Movie
- The Three Questions, based on story by Leo Tolstoy Jon J. Muth
- Rainbow Fish, Marcus Pfister
- Last Stop on Market Street, Matt de la Pena
- The Big Umbrella, Amy June Bates
- Horton Hears a Who!, Dr. Seuss
- Lend a Hand: Poems on Giving, John Frank
- We All Sing With the Same Voice, J. Philip Miller & Sheppard M. Green
- Star Girl, Jerry Spinella
- I Am Messenger, Markus Zusak
- Scars Like Wings, Erin Stewart
- Just Mercy (Adapted for Young Adults), Bryan Stevenson
- The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night Time, Mark Haddon
- My Neighbor Totoro – Children
- The Iron Giant -Children
- The Peanut Butter Falcon
- A Beautiful Day In the Neighborhood – movie
- Won’t You Be My Neighbor – documentary
(i.e. prayer/service/activism) (for all ages)
- Kindness rocks
- Wonder – Movie (young Adult)
- If you like someone’s outfit – tell them!, If you think someone’s smile is beautiful – tell them!, If you love someone’s laugh – tell them! Let someone else know how special they are.
- www.Kindness.org – choose kindness today and take the pledge
- How can you help? Check out the UCC Disaster Relief website to see what’s in need
- The 5 Love Languages®: The Secret to Love That Lasts Inspirational Adult Coloring Book (Majestic Expressions) Paperback – October 1, 2016
- Faith Hope Love Coloring Book Paperback – April 21, 2018 by Christian Art Gifts (Corporate Author) (Author) ISBN-13: 978-1432127329 ISBN-10: 1432127322
- Inner Peace Mandalas Love in 50 Languages For Reflection, Healing and Meditation 50 Coloring Pages: Mandalas Coloring Book, helps reduce stress and achieve inner peace, by Nigel David, Inner Peace Coloring