Every Monday morning, join us here as we help you prepare for worship this coming weekend! You’ll find:
- This Week’s Scripture
- The Theme for the Week
- Discussion and Reflection Questions
- Movie, Video and Book Suggestions
- Individual or Community Practices (ideas for prayer, service, or activism)
- Programming and Events
- And MORE!
Want to go back and review a previous week in the series? No worries. Just click here to access an archive of previous weeks.
This week’s scripture:
Saturday, Sept. 19 & Sunday, Sept. 20: Lindsey Braun preaching
The Good Samaritan
25 Just then a lawyer stood up to test Jesus. ‘Teacher,’ he said, ‘what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ 26 He said to him, ‘What is written in the law? What do you read there?’ 27 He answered, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.’ 28 And he said to him, ‘You have given the right answer; do this, and you will live.’
29 But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, ‘And who is my neighbor?’ 30 Jesus replied, ‘A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan while travelling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, “Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.” 36 Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?’ 37 He said, ‘The one who showed him mercy.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Go and do likewise.’
(for all ages!)
- How do you know someone loves you?
- How do you show someone you love them?
- How is showing love to a stranger different from showing love to someone in your family? How is it the same?
- How is showing love to God different from showing love to someone in your family? How is it the same?
(for all ages)
- The 5 Love Languages, Chapman
- Just Mercy, Bryan Stevenson
- The Hundred-Foot Journey
- A Grateful Heart: Daily Blessings for the Evening meal from Buddha to the Beatles, Edited by M.J. Ryan
- Life Prayers From Around the World, Elizabeth Roberts & Elias Amidon, honoring the wonders and challenges of life on earth and celebrating the seasons of our lives
- Love You Forever, Robert Mensch
- One Love, Cedella Marley, Adapted from Bob Marley’s song One Love
- Different: A Story About Loving Your Neighbor, Chris Singleton
*written by son of one of the Charleston 9 shooting victims
- The Fault In Our Stars, John Green
- Eleanor & Park, Rainbow Rowell
- Just Mercy (Adapted for Young Adults), Bryan Stevenson
- Lion King
- The Greatest Showman
- Princess Bride
- Just Mercy
- Different: A Story About Loving Your Neighbors, https://youtu.be/oMvr1XwqF7o
- Veggie Tales: Are You My Neighbor?
- Welcome the Unwelcome: Wholehearted Living in a Brokenhearted World, Pema Chodron
- True Love: A Practice For Awakening the Heart, Thich Nhat Hanh
- Once We Were Strangers: What Friendship with a Syrian Refugee Taught Me About Loving My Neighbor, Shawn Smucker
(i.e. prayer/service/activism) (for all ages)
- Remember your baptism
- Reflect on your confirmation.
- Love God with all your heart by doing something compassionate for someone or something God loves.
- Love God with all your soul by doing something that makes your soul expand (spend time in nature, pray, sing, etc.)
- Love God with all your mind by learning something new.
- Love God with all your strength by taking care of your body.
- The 5 Love Languages®: The Secret to Love That Lasts Inspirational Adult Coloring Book (Majestic Expressions) Paperback – October 1, 2016
- Faith Hope Love Coloring Book Paperback – April 21, 2018 by Christian Art Gifts (Corporate Author), ISBN-13: 978-1432127329 ISBN-10: 1432127322
- Inner Peace Mandalas Love in 50 Languages For Reflection, Healing and Meditation 50 Coloring Pages: Mandalas Coloring Book helps reduce stress and achieve inner peace by Nigel David, Inner Peace Coloring