Do you have a couch, table, or dresser you no longer need? Or do you have a few hours available in the coming months.
The Plymouth Welcomes a Refugee Family Project is collecting new or gently used furniture and household items to fully furnish a small, three-bedroom apartment for a refugee family of six.
Donate Furniture or Household Items
To donate items or see a list of the current items needed, click here.
- Items should be new or gently used.
- Pick-up for donated items is available. We will contact you after you sign up to make arrangements.
- Please do not drop off unsolicited items at the church. Our current needs are limited to the specific items listed at the link above.
- We are NOT accepting clothing donations at this time.
We’re looking for a few groups of short-term volunteers to help with specific tasks:
- Collecting & Organizing: Assist in picking up items from donors, boxing, labeling and transporting them to a storage unit awaiting the arrival of our family. Youth volunteers welcome. (Another group of volunteer movers will assist with large items.) Time frame is June and July.
- Shopping: Assist with shopping for needed items that were not donated and for toiletries and clothing. Items will need to be boxed, labeled and transported to the storage unit. Time frame August or September. Youth volunteers welcome.
- Small Truck & Flexible Driver: Needed at various times to move heavier items between June and Aug (or until the refugee family arrives). Frequency depends on volunteer driver’s schedule and availability of volunteers to pick up donated items per the donor’s request.
- Heavy Moving Volunteers: Help small truck driver move heavier items between June and Aug (or until the refugee family arrives). Frequency depends on volunteer driver’s schedule and availability of volunteers to pick up donated items per the donor’s request. Youth volunteers welcome.
- Moving Day Volunteers: Move all furniture and household goods from storage to the refugee family’s home in Des Moines. Youth volunteers welcome. Moving date TBD.
To sign-up as a volunteer, click here.
For questions about donating furniture/household items or volunteering to move items, please contact Donna Paulsen at email@example.com or 515.225.9784.
To learn more about the Plymouth Welcomes a Refugee Family Project, click here. For more information or other questions, you may contact our project chairperson, Alicia Claypool at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch for updates in the coming months!