We’re thrilled that you’ve come to visit Plymouth’s website to learn more. We hope that you’ll visit us — if you haven’t already — and experience for yourself the loving, accepting, caring and socially engaged atmosphere that is Plymouth.
Whether this is your first time at Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ…or your first time at a church…Welcome! You’ll find us on the corner of 42nd Street and Ingersoll Ave. in Des Moines, IA. Park in the two-level garage…you can enter off 40th Street or 42nd Street. (You’ll probably want to arrive a little early, especially the first time.) A friendly deacon will open the door for you. Ask them to direct you to the Welcome Center. That’s where a friendly volunteer will answer any of your questions, give you a small token of our appreciation for attending, and help you find your way to worship.
Plymouth is currently offering in person worship services each Saturday evening and Sunday morning. Sit where you feel most comfortable, say hello to your neighbors, and enjoy a meaningful and soulful worship experience. Your printed worship bulletin will help guide you through the service. See a list below to see how you can join us!
- Saturdays at 5:30 p.m. worship with us in Waveland Hall with our Saturday Night Band. Activities are available for children.
- Sundays at 8 a.m. join the Word & Table service in Burling. This contemplative service will last approximately 20 minutes and include Scripture readings, prayer, short meditation, and communion.
- Sundays at 9 & 11 a.m. worship with us in our Sanctuary. Activities are available for children.
- Sundays at 10 a.m. join Forum in Waveland Hall. You can also join virtually on Zoom by clicking here.
Not comfortable in person right now? That’s okay! We will continue to respond to CDC public health recommendations regarding mask usage. Each Sunday we will continue to live stream our 9 and 11 a.m. services on our Facebook page and YouTube channel.
It’s true…lots of churches say those same things. But browse through our website and investigate the many ministries in which Plymouth people are involved. You’ll see why Plymouth is known throughout the city and the country for its opportunities for worship, education, outreach, and friendship. We are…
- Energized by great programs for children and youth.
- Renewed with wide-ranging education for adults.
- Deepened by Scripture-based, passionate preaching.
- Growing with award-winning choirs.
- Serving others with compassion.
- Supportive as a Just Peace, Open & Affirming and Stephen Ministry church
- And involved in addressing the vital concerns of today.
Our history in Des Moines is long. Our predecessors first met as Plymouth Congregational Church in 1857, joining the national United Church of Christ in 1957, and we celebrated our 150th anniversary in 2007. During that time we have been known as Plymouth Congregational Church, Plymouth United Church of Christ and Plymouth Church for brevity…but our fundamental beliefs have remained the same. Love of God and Neighbor.
Welcome to Plymouth!
We hope you like what you see about Plymouth. If you’d like to learn more about us, please sign up for our regular communications here. By signing up, you will receive our Plymouth Weekly Newsletter each Thursday, our monthly Contact magazine, and other updates and news.
Plymouth Church is very active on its Facebook and YouTube pages. You’ll find up-to-date information there, along with live and recorded program offerings like our Evening Prayer services, bible studies, and more. (Don’t worry if you can’t catch them live…the recordings are there for you to watch later at your convenience.) Our previous worship services can always be viewed on our YouTube channel or Facebook page. Be sure to “like” and “subscribe” to those pages to get the latest news on what’s happening at Plymouth and how you can be involved.
Discover Plymouth classes are offered three times a year. This is where you can meet some of our ministers, staff and lay leaders; learn more in-depth info about the church; and join us as a member, if you’d like. If you’re interested in participating in this class, please contact one of our ministers here.