Matins Choir is a choral tradition that is in its 67th year at Plymouth Church. The Matins program began as a choir for grades 5 through 12, under the direction of John Dexter. As the children’s choir program developed, Matins transitioned into a choir of high school youth, drawing from schools all over the metro area. This is a high commitment choir that rehearses weekly on Wednesday, and serves as the worship leaders at the 9 a.m. worship service every Sunday from September through May.
In June each year, the choir tours as an outreach to congregations and communities to various destinations across the United States. In its many shapes and sizes, the Matins tradition has been grounded in the principles of music, spirit, service, and fellowship. Matins is a program that builds leaders, not only in music ministry, but in service and outreach, faith formation, and fellowship.
Matins is open to any youth in grades 9–12, regardless of singing ability or religious affiliation. All are welcome! Please see information on the Essentials of Respect!
Wednesday Rehearsals begin promptly at 7 p.m. in Recital Hall.
Sunday Worship Rehearsals begin promptly at 8:15 a.m. in Recital Hall.
- Respect the director and your fellow Matins in everything you do!
- Keep talking to a minimum during rehearsals.
- Maintain a worshipful demeanor while in the chancel (i.e. no talking, note passing, snoozing, slumping, paper crunching, etc.)
- Absolutely NO cell phone or iPod use during rehearsal and worship. Items will be confiscated if used inappropriately!
- NO gum chewing allowed in rehearsal or worship.
- NO food or beverages allowed in Recital Hall, other than a sealed water bottle.
- Dress for worship: Although we wear robes, please dress appropriately for worship. No graphic tees or ripped/torn jeans are allowed